Weather

Current Conditions
-15.4C
Clear
Today's Forecast
1C
A mix of sun and cloud
Sponsored by Highland Ford

News And Views

Classifieds

Announcements

Entertainment

Shop Local

More Local

Search The Web

Google Search

Local News

Kitchen fire results in fine

Wednesday, February 19, 2014   by: SooToday.com Staff

NEWS RELEASE

SAULT STE MARIE
FIRE SERVICES

*************************
In the early morning hours of February 18, 2014, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services responded to the 100 block of Grace Street for a reported kitchen fire.   

On arrival, the fire which was found contained to the stove top area had been extinguished. 

An electrical connection in the kitchen exhaust hood was determined to be the cause of the fire.

Further investigation revealed that the resident had failed to maintain a working smoke alarm and was consequently issued a $235 fine.

“A resident of this apartment happened to be awake at the time of the fire and was alerted to the smell of smoke,” reported Fire Prevention Officer Rocco Celetti. “If all four occupants had been asleep at the time of this fire, the potential outcome could have been much worse than a $235 fine.”

As a result of the fire, this two storey duplex received minor smoke damage to the main level.
           
Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services wishes to remind homeowners that only working smoke alarms save lives.  

Test alarms monthly and change batteries twice per year.

*************************

Comments
7
Please sign in to post a response
Note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of SooToday.com. Keep discussions civil and on topic. Refrain from obscenity and don't post anything that your grandmother would be ashamed to read. Those who do not abide by these guidelines will have their membership revoked without notice. If you see an abusive post, please click the link beside the post to report it.
Gurpy 2/19/2014 2:13:17 PM Report

WOW! A $235.00 fine could`ve been prevented with a $10.00 smoke detector from Canadian Tire and $1.00 plus tax for a battery from Dollarama!
Asuna 2/19/2014 2:46:42 PM Report

interesting , the only duplex in the 100 block of grace street is right next to me
I did not hear any firetrucks :/

back4more 2/19/2014 2:49:59 PM Report

Asuna...then you're doing very well....most people on Grace St. can't pass a window without licking it and here you are posting stuff on a computer....good for you.
allieishere 2/19/2014 6:51:28 PM Report

back4more, really? so not necessary. Glad nobody was hurt.
Asuna 2/19/2014 10:05:41 PM Report

back4more, I quite enjoy living downtown, this area isn't that bad.
I get to enjoy my fav coffee from Cafe Natura, have lunch at Dish all while I study to become a Certified Holistic nutritionist
tucker18 2/19/2014 11:10:57 PM Report

How do u know it was not the landlords fault
thomas 2/20/2014 5:33:47 AM Report

Well Tucker, it might be the landlord's fault, and if it is, he/she should be charged too.

It is probably tenants who live there and having a functioning smoke alarm is something that THEY should ensure is working for their OWN safety.

They are just fortunate that the fire wasn't worse, and I'm glad no one got hurt/died.
Comments
7
Please sign in to post a response
Note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of SooToday.com. Keep discussions civil and on topic. Refrain from obscenity and don't post anything that your grandmother would be ashamed to read. Those who do not abide by these guidelines will have their membership revoked without notice. If you see an abusive post, please click the link beside the post to report it.
Advertising | Membership | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About SooToday.com | Contact Us | Feedback

Copyright ©2014 SooToday.com - All rights reserved