Current Conditions
-1.8 C
Today's Forecast
2 C
Chance of flurries
Sponsored by Highland Ford

News And Views




Shop Local

More Local

Search The Web

Google Search

Local News

Central Algoma flood relief fundraising begins

Wednesday, January 15, 2014   by: Staff

( reader Nicholas Gordon sent us the above photos of Iron River Rd. in the Echo Bay area on September 10, 1013. More images of that area flooding can be seen here)


Central Algoma Joint Disaster Relief Committee begins fund-raising campaign

Fundraising will begin immediately for victims of the September 10, 2013 flood event, Elzine Shuttleworth newly appointed chair for the Central Algoma Joint Disaster Relief Committee announced today.

The Township of Macdonald, Meredith & Aberdeen Additional, Township of Laird, Township of Plummer Additional and the Municipality of Huron Shores are the participating municipalities of the Central Algoma Joint Disaster Relief Committee.

Each municipality appointed two members to make up the eight member committee after Linda Jeffrey Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing announced on December 5, 2013 that their Ministry would be providing five communities in east Algoma District up to 3.25 million in disaster assistance and declared the area a disaster area for the purposes of the Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program under the public and private components.

This committee will be focused on the private component of ODRAP and will be spearheading the fund-raising effort and be responsible for appraising losses and settling claims.

Shuttleworth is urging all residents in these communities to chip in and help their less fortunate neighbours by donating money or by volunteering to help with fundraising efforts.

All donations can be made at the Township of Macdonald, Meredith & Aberdeen Additional municipal office located at 208 Church St. in Echo Bay which is the host community for the Central Algoma Joint Disaster Relief Committee.

We will be contacting all businesses in the area for donations as well as staging special fundraising events over the next few weeks.

Donors will receive official receipts for income tax purposes from the municipality.

The Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program applies once a disaster area has been declared.

The program is intended to alleviate hardship suffered by private homeowners, tenants, farmers, small business enterprises and non profit organizations. Privately-owned, non-essential property such as secondary residences and insured losses are not eligible.

The Province will top up local fundraising to the amount that is needed to pay eligible claims over and above the locally raised funds, up to two dollars for each dollar raised by the Central Algoma Joint Disaster Relief Committee. The amount of the provincial funding contribution is determined after all claims have been reviewed by the Central Algoma Joint Disaster Relief Committee and community fundraising is completed. Locally raised funds are expended first, before provincial funds are contributed.

Shuttleworth said the Central Algoma Joint Disaster Relief Committee will soon place advertisements in local newspapers, on municipal websites, and in municipal newsletters outlining the terms on which assistance can be provided and how a claim can be made.

Anyone seeking more information about contributing to the fund or wishing to help with the campaign can call 705-248-2613. Information about submitting applications for assistance is available at 705-248-2613 and ask for Brenda Barbarie or Lynne Duguay.


Note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of If you see an abusive post, please click the link beside the post to report it.
mallet 1/15/2014 3:01:51 PM Report

I know I am not supposed to ask ths question... But does nobody buy insurance in the rural areas anymore??? I know it costs me a lot to have fire insurance and what not, but having had a fire, I can assure you it is worth it.. However if you built in a known flood plain area it maybe prohibitive, that is another question that I would not ask!!!
Tissue 1/15/2014 3:14:02 PM Report

Mallet - insurance only covers damage if it was caused because your sump pump or drain system failed. If the flood waters damage you house or property because of high waters running in your basement window or washing out your foundation there is no insurance that covers this, so we have been told from the insurance agent that attended the state of emergency meeting. This is really unfortunate for many people. A friend of ours had their foundation completely washed out, basement flooded to the floor joists They are told they have no insurance for any of this. Hope this clears up any confusion.
soowat 1/15/2014 8:38:50 PM Report


My question is why do people build in a flood plain. It's called that for the fact that it's likely to flood--not because it's named after some guy named George Flood
elusia 1/15/2014 10:00:32 PM Report

The problem, many areas of this city or surrounding, are classified flood plain and swamps but they are not and other wet areas qualified as dry places and this is the result. For example, many properties around the Airport, Baseline, Townline (sandy areas) are qualified as swamps or flood plain but were very dry compared to this city or other places. If you look at the pictures many of them also don’t qualify as flood plain like the picture of a dog on top of the hill. The ministry needs to look at the areas that got affected during this storm and reassess the total area around including the Sault and come up with better maps. Areas high in clay or surrounded by mountains will be the most affected during big storms. It was a bad storm and I hope we don’t get anymore. The areas affected the most I’m sure are on the authorities mind. Let’s just hope they do an overall.
Advertising | Membership | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About | Contact Us | Feedback

Copyright ©2014 - All rights reserved