Current Conditions
Today's Forecast
Chance of rain showers or flurries
Sponsored by Highland Ford

News And Views




Shop Local

More Local

Search The Web

Google Search

Local News

Hounds continue undefeated streak, end Wolves' streak (14 photos)

Sunday, December 29, 2013   by: Brad Coccimiglio

The Soo Greyhounds returned from the Christmas break looking to extend their unbeaten streak to five games.

The Greyhounds not only did that, but they ended the Sudbury Wolves nine-game winning streak as they beat the Wolves 3-1 at the Essar Centre.

A power play goal by Sergey Tolchinsky in the first period and a shorthanded goal by Patrick Watling in the third period proved to be the difference for the Greyhounds in the win.

“It’s fair to say,” said greyhounds coach Sheldon Keefe of special teams being a factor in the win. “We talked about that being a factor coming into the game. We want to be plus-one or better and we wound up being plus-two with the shorthanded goal.  I don’t really care much for percentages. If we’re 1-for-8 and the other team is 0-for-2, I’m ok with that. I’m more about differential in goals for and goals against. That’s what makes the difference in games.”

The Greyhounds killed off a five-on-three Sudbury advantage for 1:35 in the win as well.

“Our penalty killing was outstanding,” said Keefe. “It was just gritty efforts by our guys. They executed really well a lot of the things we wanted to do. The addition of Dylan Corson really helped on a night like tonight. All around, it was a gritty effort for our penalty killers.”

Wolves coach Paul Fixter credited the Greyhounds with capitalizing on their opportunities in the win.

“We didn’t score on our opportunity and they did,” said Wolves coach Paul Fixter. “They score with 1.5 seconds left in the first. We had an opportunity to score with one second left in the second period and we didn’t. Those are key points in the game when all is said and done.”

The Wolves bench boss added that his team didn’t show the energy that the Greyhounds did in the game.

“They had a little more energy than us,” said Fixter. “I’m not saying we were tired but we looked like a tired team tonight. We’ll learn from it and move on.”

Jean Dupuy had the other goal for the Greyhounds in the win.

Keefe spoke highly of the line of Dupuy, Corson and Trent Mallette in the win.

“They had some energy and there’s a lot of speed on the wings there with Dupuy and Mallette,” said Keefe of the trio. “They were keeping pucks in deep and scored a goal for us to start the game.”

Greyhounds goaltender Matt Murray stopped 20 shots in the win.

Fixter credited the Greyhounds offensive zone play with being a factor in frustrating the Wolves in the game.

“Their offensive zone play was very effective and they cycled the puck,” Fixter said. “Tolchinsky had his own way and did what he wanted to out there. They took it to us pretty good.”

Mathew Campagna scored for the Wolves while goaltender Franky Palazzese stopped 23 shots.

The win improves the Greyhounds record to 25-8-1-3 with the win while the Wolves record falls to 19-10-3-3.

Next up, the Greyhounds host the Saginaw Spirit on Tuesday afternoon at 2 p.m. at the Essar Centre.

Photo courtesy's Kenneth Armstrong

View Photo Gallery for this Story

Please sign in to post a response
Note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Keep discussions civil and on topic. Refrain from obscenity and don't post anything that your grandmother would be ashamed to read. Those who do not abide by these guidelines will have their membership revoked without notice. If you see an abusive post, please click the link beside the post to report it.
duster_b 12/29/2013 7:20:43 PM Report

well played game, hounds actually played a simple game, no more 8 or 9 passes before shooting, they took the ice away form the wolves shut them down stopped the big line from getting loose.. who needs a trade.. efforts like today will get you wins.. keep It up guys well done
houston 12/29/2013 10:02:30 PM Report

Darnell Nurse showed today why he is the captain of this team. When the Greyhounds were down two men, Darnell blocked a shot that hurt him. After that he blocked to more shots. All three shots were one timed slap shots that were probably going over one hundred miles per hour. Any one of those shots could have ended up in the Greyhounds net, and changed the outcome of the game.
Advertising | Membership | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About | Contact Us | Feedback

Copyright ©2014 - All rights reserved