Municipal operations during New Year's holiday periodFriday, December 27, 2013 by: SooToday.com Staff
CITY OF SAULT STE MARIE
NEW YEAR’S EVE – DECEMBER 31
Open for scheduled events only December 31. The McMeeken Centre and the John Rhodes Community Centre arenas close at 4 p.m.
The Public Library – Centennial branch closes at noon. The Churchill and Korah branches are closed December 31. All three branches will be closed Wednesday, January 1.
Last buses depart the terminal at 11:45 p.m. The last pick-up or return for Parabus service on December 31 will be at 11:30 p.m.
NEW YEAR’S DAY – JANUARY 1
The following operations will be closed to the public on New Year’s Day:
- Cemetery office
- Children’s Centres: Maycourt, Jessie Irving, and Best Start – Holy Family
- Civic Centre
- Community Arenas: Essar Centre, John Rhodes, McMeeken Centre
- Essar Centre office & Box office
- John Rhodes Community Centre Pool
- Library – Centennial Branch, Churchill and Korah Branches
- Northern Community Centre
- Public Works and Transportation office – For 24 hour emergency service requests, call 705-759-5201.
- Seniors’ Centres (Drop-In and Steelton)
- Social Services: Ontario Works, Social Housing, Community Child Care and Accessibility Centre
- Transit office
Regular transit and Parabus service will not operate on January 1. Parabus bookings for January 2 must be made on December 31. For Parabus information call 705-942-1404. For regular transit call 705-759-5438.
REFUSE & RECYCLING COLLECTION
There will be no collection on January 1.
Starting Thursday, January 2 refuse and recycling collection will be one day late until January 4.
The two-bag/container refuse limit is waived until January 10 providing you are recycling and the number of excess bags is within reason.
Residents are encouraged to recycle all cardboard, steel cans, aluminum containers, glass bottles, #1 and #2 plastics, and all wrapping paper that is not foil or cellophane.
Refuse must be placed curbside by 7:30 a.m. to ensure pickup.
Packaging poly-styrene (solid pieces of Styrofoam) can be dropped off at the Cambrian Mall parking lot until Saturday, January 11.
Place in clear plastic bags to keep clean and dry.
Christmas trees can be dropped off at the Cambrian Mall site until Saturday, January 11.
The municipal landfill site is open December 27, 28, 30 and 31, closed January 1, open January 2 and 3 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, January 4 from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
This holiday information is available on the City website at www.cityssm.on.ca – City Hall Bulletins.