Current Conditions
Today's Forecast
Sponsored by Highland Ford

News And Views




Shop Local

More Local

Search The Web

Google Search

Local News

Greyhounds end weekend with victory

Saturday, December 07, 2013   by: Brad Coccimiglio

SAGINAW, MICH. – The Soo Greyhounds traveled northbound on I-75 on Saturday night feeling pretty good.

The Greyhounds rebounded to score a pair of goals to bounce back and pick up a 5-4 overtime win in Saginaw over the Spirit at the Dow Event Center. Sergey Tolchinsky scored the winner with 1:04 left in overtime to give the Greyhounds the win, their second of the road trip.

The Greyhounds needed a late goal by overage forward Patrick Watling with 1:37 left in regulation time just to get to the extra frame.

“We played well but I didn’t like parts of our first period,” said Greyhounds coach Sheldon Keefe. “After that we were good. I really liked our second period. We were dominant in the second period but didn’t get rewarded as much as we would have liked. We felt like just getting that one more goal, we were flirting with danger more than we would have liked a little bit letting them hang around and that proved to be the case.

Tolchinsky had two goals and an assist in the win to pace the Greyhounds offensively.

“He turned into a difference-maker for us and we relied on him for that,” said Keefe. “We needed a big effort from some of our guys tonight.  Sergey obviously got us started and won the game in overtime.”

Watling had a goal and an assist in the win while David Miller and Alex Gudbranson also scored in the win. Michael Bunting chipped in with a pair of assists for the Greyhounds Matt Murray stopped 32 shots.

“We try to do that most nights,” Keefe said of the amount of shots directed at the Saginaw goal. “We were facing a goaltender that has struggled and was pulled in his last two starts. We wanted to really test him. Along with that, we know, for our team to break open offensively, I feel like we really challenged the net and tired out not only their goaltender but their defence from having to contend with chasing pucks down.”

Jimmy Lodge and Justin Kea scored third-period goals for Saginaw to pull ahead 4-3 on the Greyhounds, setting the stage for Watling’s late-game-tying goal. Watling’s goal came moments after Lodge was denied his second goal of the night at the other end of the ice by Murray.

“To give up the lead in the third period, we weren’t thrilled about it,” said Keefe. “But it didn’t feel like we were playing poorly. It just felt like they capitalized on a couple of their opportunities. We’re really happy with how we stuck with it and found a way to even the score.”

Lodge and Kea had a goal and an assist each in the loss while Terry Trafford also chipped in with a goal and an assist for the Spirit. Luke Cairns had the other goal for Saginaw in the loss. Spirit goaltender Jake Paterson stopped 38 shots.

The Greyhounds run of games on the road comes to an end on Tuesday night when they travel to Sudbury to take on the Wolves. The game is a make-up game after the two teams had their season-opener in Sudbury postponed back on Sept. 20.

Please sign in to post a response
Note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Keep discussions civil and on topic. Refrain from obscenity and don't post anything that your grandmother would be ashamed to read. Those who do not abide by these guidelines will have their membership revoked without notice. If you see an abusive post, please click the link beside the post to report it.
Bob the builder 12/8/2013 9:10:37 AM Report

Way to go Hounds. Great stuff.
Advertising | Membership | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About | Contact Us | Feedback

Copyright ©2014 - All rights reserved