Important: Read this if you've been floodedTuesday, September 10, 2013 by: SooToday.com Staff
ALGOMA PUBLIC HEALTH
Due to the heavy rain fall experience on September 10, 2013, many homes within the Algoma District may be experiencing flooding.
Water damage in the home can cause quick mold growth and can also carry many germs that can make us sick.
Algoma Public Health recommends the following measures for those dealing with a flood at this time:
• Do not venture into a flooded basement until the electrical utility has shut off the power to your house
• Remove standing water as soon as possible (e.g., wet shop vacuum)
• Keep areas as dry as possible (e.g. use of dehumidifiers, fans)
• Clean and disinfect contaminated areas with non-ammonium based soap and house hold bleach (do not mix chemicals)
• Dispose of any food contaminated by flood waters
• Discard of any materials contaminated by flood waters that cannot be reasonably cleaned and disinfected
• If you are on a private well make sure to have your water tested. You can pick up a water sampling bottle at Algoma Public Health offices or the Public Health Lab at 160 McDougall Street. All water samples can be returned to the Public Health Lab for bacterial testing
• Do not to pump septic tanks during flood due to risk of breakage and spillage.
For more information on floods, visit our website or join the conversation on Facebook or Twitter.