Boc To Roc: Check out lineup of instructorsMonday, September 09, 2013 by: SooToday.com Staff
BOC TU ROC MUSIC ACADEMY
New Voice Venture Begins at Boc Tu Roc Music Academy
SAULT STE. MARIE, ON - Boc Tu Roc Music Academy has added Shauna Major to its talented roster of instructors for fall.
Boc Tu Roc owner Michael Davies and Shauna have developed an individual songwriting course, and will begin booking students this fall.
Individuals can sign up for weekly lessons, focusing on songwriting technique, arrangement, chord structure and melodic development.
Vocal instruction and technique will also form the basis of the lessons, as well as simple demo recording and microphone technique.
Shauna brings 20 years of vocal training, performance and songwriting to the Boc Tu Roc table, and she is thrilled to join the other talented teachers at the academy.
In her final year in the Bachelor of Arts in Music program at Algoma University, Shauna is also concurrently studying at the Royal Conservatory of Music, heading into Grade 10 Vocal Studies.
She has studied under Roxolana Roslac, Elizabeth Kinghorn and Agnes McCarthy.
Boc Tu Roc Music Academy has an amazing roster of instructors, offering lessons in any style on guitar, piano, voice, drums and violin.
The roster includes:
• Michael Davies: (guitar) Exclusively teaching classical guitar, technique and theory. He also has had 25 years experience as a child and youth counsellor, helping high risk and special needs children life skills and music in many different settings. He plays lead guitar in local favourite Stifflers Mom.
• Kyle McKey: (guitar) Studied music at Algoma University in the Jazz program, Kyle has 20 years experience playing in bands in the local music community and is currently in Sailors Tongue and K.T. & Kyle. He also has perfect pitch, an envied quality with other academy instructors!
• Sydney Mazzonello: (piano, beginner guitar, vocal) Currently studying music at Algoma University, Sydney brings a passion for music and a warm, welcoming smile to all of her students.
• Adam King: (guitar, drums, piano) Currently studying music at Algoma University, Adam has grown up with a passion for music and instruments. As a refinisher for Kings Piano Service, he’s been involved in making music his whole life. You can find Adam playing guitar in Flashback & Satisfaction.
• Dan Howson: (piano, sax) Dan is a multi-instrumentalist and has completed his studies at Algoma University.
• Kate Drew: (guitar, vocal, piano) Began studying classical piano at the age of 10. She has experimented with guitar, drums, fiddle and vocals. She’s the guitarist/vocalist in Freshwater Sirens and Lazer Queen and is currently the drummer for Danger Cats.
Michael Davies opened Boc Tu Roc in 2009, fulfilling a longstanding dream of opening his own music school dedicated to the concept of inclusion.
He wants to ensure that anyone with a passion for music can be allowed to participate in music making and develop as a musician, regardless of the his or her skill level or aspirations.
What’s behind the name?
Boc Tu Roc in its basic form is about offering music instruction from classical forms to modern rock forms.
But it is also about learning what is behind the best rock of our time – building on solid classical foundations, discovering that rock grew from classical music.
Boc Tu Roc builds a solid musical foundation in its students, who can go on to play any style they choose.
Boc Tu Roc Music Academy Mission Statement
Boc Tu Roc Music Academy is located at 360 Second Line E, right next to Superior Heights.
Space is filling up already for the fall schedule, so call 705-575-4431 now to book the lesson time you would like.