Major fire causes extensive damage to west end homeMonday, February 04, 2013 by: SooToday.com Staff
SAULT STE. MARIE FIRE SERVICES
At approximately 10 a.m. Friday, February 1, Fire Services responded to the 100 block of Arden Ave.
A 911 call from a neighbour, reported smoke and flames extending from a basement window of a home across the street.
Upon arrival, Fire Services discovered heavy smoke and flames venting from both basement windows.
The fire caused extensive damage throughout the home.
Due to the extent of fire damage, a cause of the fire could not be determined.
The fire is not considered suspicious.
Cigarette fires over the weekend
During the early morning hours of Saturday, February 2, Fire Services responded to a multi-unit apartment building in the 700 block of Second Line West.
A concerned tenant heard a smoke alarm sounding in an adjacent apartment and made a 911 call.
Arriving Fire crews forced entry into the apartment and discovered the fire in the basement area.
The apartment unit received moderate smoke damage throughout and thermal damage to a futon.
Investigation revealed the cause of the fire to be a carelessly discarded cigarette.
At approximately 3 p.m. on Sunday, February 3 Fire Services responded to a triplex in the 100 block of Lansdowne Ave.
Fire Services received a 911 call of a report of smoke throughout the building.
Upon arrival, fire crews encountered light smoke and discovered the fire in a second floor bedroom.
The cause of the fire was determined to be from a carelessly discarded cigarette that fell into a mattress.
Further investigation revealed disabled and non-maintained smoke alarms throughout the building.
Charges are pending.
“Cigarettes need to be fully extinguished and placed in non-combustible sturdy holders,” remarked Fire Prevention Officer Carlo Provenzano. “Cigarettes can smolder in couch cushions and mattresses for several hours. Fortunately, no one was hurt in either incident this past weekend."