Weather

Current Conditions
-7.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Today's Forecast
-4 C
Mainly cloudy
Sponsored by Highland Ford

News And Views

Classifieds

Announcements

Entertainment

Shop Local

More Local

Search The Web

Google Search

Local News

Fire in Sault home started by discarded batteries

Monday, January 07, 2013   by: SooToday.com Staff

NEWS RELEASE

SAULT STE. MARIE FIRE SERVICES

*************************

A Sault homeowner averted major fire damage when they were alerted to a burning odour in their home.

While searching for the source, the owner discovered contents of a cabinet inside the utility room on fire.

The owner closed the cabinet doors and used a portable fire extinguisher to knock down the flames preventing the fire from spreading further. 

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services responded, ensuring the fire was completely extinguished and cleared the home of smoke.

Upon further investigation, it was found that improperly discarded 9V batteries to be the source of ignition.

“People need to be aware of the risk associated with storage and disposal of 9-volt batteries. If they are not completely dead, the contacts need to be protected so they do not make contact with anything metallic. It’s a good idea to cover the contacts with a strip of electrical tape, while not in use,” reported Fire Prevention Officer Rocco Celetti.

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services attended a house fire in January 2011, where similar storage of household batteries was found to be the cause. 

Fire Services would like to remind the public that, had this fire occurred in the middle of the night, the outcome would have been drastically different.

These types of fires reinforce the importance of maintaining working smoke alarms on each level of the home and beside all sleeping areas.

**************************

Comments
8
Note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of SooToday.com. If you see an abusive post, please click the link beside the post to report it.
LillyGirl 1/7/2013 3:52:38 PM Report

They are very lucky, could of turned tragic in a heartbeat
I'm In 1/7/2013 5:18:42 PM Report

Thanks for telling them/us SooToday readers LillyGirl, as if they/we didn't know.
Entity 1/7/2013 5:22:32 PM Report

LillyGirl, please forgive I'm In, he's unhappy because he has nothing good going on in his life.
santa-fe 1/7/2013 5:41:23 PM Report

I did not know that batteries could catch on fire. Thank you Sootoday for this post.
willoweep 1/7/2013 6:04:48 PM Report

I never realized the danger from 9v Batteries either. I will be checking mine!

And yes it sure could have been a lot worse ,a lesson learned by many of us.
stiJJy 1/7/2013 7:28:13 PM Report

Really it should say that any batteries, if shorted out, can cause a fire.
F!$h!e 1/7/2013 9:34:30 PM Report

I had a 9 volt battery in my change holder a few years ago! i was driving when it just exploded, sending a pencil flying past me. it had shorted out on the coins and stuff.
kamen 1/7/2013 10:22:57 PM Report

I had batteries in my purse once for my MP3 player and they came in contact with my jewelry and got really hot, glad I noticed before anything started burning, it isn't only 9-volts, mine were AAA's....
Comments
8
Note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of SooToday.com. If you see an abusive post, please click the link beside the post to report it.
Advertising | Membership | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About SooToday.com | Contact Us | Feedback

Copyright ©2014 SooToday.com - All rights reserved