Highway 17 White River - Marathon closed (updated)Sunday, May 13, 2012 by: Carol Martin
The Superior East detachment of the Ontario Provincial Poilice are advising motorists that Highway 17 between White River and Marathon is now closed.
Police report the highway was closed because of a forest fire burning in the area of the road.
The estimated duration of the closure is unknown and there are no detours available.
The OPP ask that people not call the OPP Provincial Communication Centres for road advisory updates or road condition information.
To view the latest information on the state of area highways and roads please visit the Ontario Ministry of Transportation website.
According to the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources there are currently eight forest fires burning in northeastern Ontario involving over 70 hectarees of forest.
- Two of these fires are in the Sault Ste. Marie area:
- Sault Ste. Marie 10 involves 1.4 hectares of forest, was caused by humans and is under control.
- Sault Ste. Marie 11 involves 7 hectares of land, was caused by humans and is being held.
Since the beginning of this fire season, alomost 300 hectares of forest have been consumed by 83 fires in the northeast region of Ontario.
Three new fires were reported in the region today.
- Cochrane 7 involves .5 hectares of forest, the cause is not yet determined and it is being held.
- Timmins 5 involves 3.5 hectares of land, the cause is note yet known and it is burning out of control.
- Wawa 5 involves 35 hectares of forest, was caused by humans and is also not under control. This fire appears to be the one affecting Highway 17 between White River and Marathon.