Hydroponics worldwide – an excellent future for farming at homeMonday, January 13, 2014 by: Greener Ideal
These days, the future for hydroponic cultured systems appears completely positive. It is becoming increasingly more popular because it is highly productive, land protective of the environment, and conservative of water. According to a recent survey, it was found that hydroponic crops farming industry is expected to expand in the next 5 years with an average annual rate of 4.4% to $674.9 million. This industry continues to fill the gap when poor weather conditions harm fresh field farmer’s goods.
Why hydroponics plants?
People nowadays are highly focused on healthy diet procedures and consuming organic produce. This results in the growing demand for the hydroponic plants. Hydroponics is a wonderful system of agriculture which utilizes nutrient-laden water instead of soil for plant nourishment. The vegetables grown in this way contain more vitamins, the taste is amazing and is without doubt better than soil grown produce.
Today, many countries have adopted this wonderful scientific method to grow terrestrial plants and found incredible results. It is also quite important to note how this system helps the environment. This system really is doing wonders in the agricultural field allowing the recycling of water and hydroponic nutrients, so that no materials are wasted.
Types of Hydroponic systems
There are six basic types of hydroponic growing systems which are fairly simple in concept. If you understand how these systems work, it won’t be hard for you to build your own system. Below are the six basic hydroponic systems:
- Drip system
- Wick system
- Nutrient Film Technique
- Water culture
- Ebb-Flow system
Important things to be considered
The essential ingredients required to grow hydroponic plants are:
- Carbon dioxide
Hydroponics Vs Soil
Believe it or not, growing hydroponically is many times better than using soil. Below are some good reasons you should know why hydroponics win over soil grown plants:
- Fast Results – This is an excellent benefit that you can enjoy. These plants grow 30-50% quicker than soil grown plants under the same conditions. It helps to save a lot of valuable time in weeding, pest controlling and watering. Definitely benefitting the hydroponic growers.
- Pesticide and Harmful Chemical Free – The pests and diseases are significantly reduced in hydroponics. Eliminating soil really helps to eliminate different soil borne diseases and pests which cause plant health problems. In this type of growing field, farmers don’t need to use harmful pesticides. Also, there is no need to conserve water.
- Space Saving – It is the major reason why there is a tremendous demand for these systems. As these plants do not grow in the soil, their roots don’t have to struggle to search and spread out to locate nutrients. All they need is a bath of oxygenated nutrient solution where they are placed. This helps to save an incredible amount of space when compared to traditional soil gardening. Due to this, you can get to pack your plants in a closer manner which results in a huge space saving.
- Extreme Control for you – In this wonderful system, you are the master of your plant’s environment. You have complete control over these plants and it’s up to you to create the perfect temperature, humidity, nutrient mixture, and growing schedule.
- Flexibility –With the extensive research done on these growing techniques, researchers finally came to the conclusion that they could also be used in places such as deserts. This shows the flexibility of this system.