2014 Sochi OlympicsSunday, February 09, 2014 by: Mac Headrick
The 2014 Olympics are upon us. I am curious as to the readers of “SooToday” opinions of the Winter Games. Listed below are some random thoughts that have for some reason stuck in my brain relative to these games. The list is not intended to be in order of priority with the exception of number one.
- Any event(s) that feature Sault Ste Marie participants has my attention.
- Everyone remotely connected to the Olympics always states the Olympics should be free of politics. Then why do they spend so much time and effort discussing the politics that surround the Olympics?
- A lot of the live curling will be televised live very early (5 a.m.) our time. I have no problem with this as I usually get up at that time. For the most part, any (dayshift) curling fans locally can watch the play live and still have plenty of time to get ready for work.
- The hockey games appear to me to be the NHL with the players switching teams. Of course I will be glued to the television when Canada plays. Hockey is in the blood of most Canadians, heh. By the way I am also looking forward to watching women’s hockey especially any games against the U.S. team.
- Canadians certainly value their pets, specifically dogs. It upset me when news that the city of Sochi was actively killing stray dogs. A Russian billionaire has stepped in and created a shelter on the out skirts of town to rescue as many dogs as possible.
- Did you see the pictures of the twin toilets side by each? Now that is a radical team building exercise.
- Russia has spent approximately $51 billion to deliver the Olympics. With this amount of money spent, shouldn’t everything be completed? The Vancouver 2010 Olympics cost $7 billion. That appears to have been a bargain.
- $210 to $1050 dollars per Canadian to attend the gold medal game in hockey. This amount seems high to me. Sports fans spend thousands to watch the Superbowl live, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
- The Olympic sport Skeleton fascinates me. I have a difficult time imagining lying down face first while hurling down an ice track.
- The three Dufour-Lapointe sisters from Quebec won gold (Justine); silver (Chloe) and finished 12th (Maxime) in the woman’s moguls yesterday. Take about great genetics.
- I would like to participate in a “Senior Bobsled” run. I would prefer the second seat. My theory is this would provide me with maximum protection. The third and fourth positions may be further back but you really have to work hard at the beginning to get the sled up to speed.
- I avoid the ice skating events like the plague. There is too much scandal associated with this sport.
As l see it, if you can eliminate all the inconsequential stuff that seems to surround any of the Olympic games there is much to admire and cheer about. Please share your thoughts on the Sochi 2014 Olympics.